astra Dhauti is one of the six purification techniques of Hatha Yoga called the Shatkarma. Dhauti kriya is specifically aimed at cleaning the stomach and esophageal tract. In this practice along strip of moist cotton cloth is swallowed into the stomach. After retaining it for some time,it is pulled out thereby cleaning the stomach.
Vastra Dhauti benefits
- Cough: This is a very beneficial yoga practice for cough.
- Bronchitis: Bronchitis patients should practice it.
- Digestive tract: It is a very beneficial yoga practice for patients related to indigestion.
- Kapha: is very beneficial to reduce phlegm
- This cleansing will improve Respiratory system and Digestive system so that your enhace your immunity.
How to do Yoga Vastra Dhauti Kriya:
Moola Shodhana Dhauti kriya is the cleansing of the rectum using a soft cloth i.e called vastra dhauti cloth. The practitioner inserts the middle finger or turmeric root into the rectum and rotates it clockwise and anticlockwise.
To do kriya you need a clean strip of cotton cloth. It should be 2 -3 inches wide and about 20 – 25 feet long. Prepare a bowl of warm salt water. The proportion of salt should be around 1 tea spoon (5 ml) for every half liter. Dip the long cotton cloth in the warm salt water to make it wet. Also keep a keep a glass of warm water for drinking ready at hand. This practice should be done in a calm relaxed atmosphere. One may get the tendency to vomit when trying this for the first time. Slowly this will go away and one can swallow the entire length of cloth with ease.
Step by Step Instruction
- Sit in the squatting position (or Utkatasana). One may also assume simple sitting position with spine straight (Sukasana), if that is more comfortable.
- Take one end of the moist cloth and slowly pulled into the mouth. Let the other end of the cloth rest in the bowl.
- Hold the cloth near the mouth with your hands and slowly start swallowing the cloth. This may seem difficult in the beginning. For beginners, try swallowing just 1 or 2 feet on the first day. The second day you can increase the length to 3 feet and on the third day to 4 ½ feet and so on. Some may be able to swallow the full length of 20 – 25 feet on day one, but that depends on the individual capacity.
- You can also sip the water from the glass to help you in the swallowing process.
- Continue the process till the full length of the cloth is inside. Make sure you leave at least half feet of cloth outside, so that you can pull out the cloth at the end of the practice.
- Once you have swallowed the full piece of cloth, you can churn and rotate the stomach from side to side. Those who know the practice of Nauli may also perform gentle Nauli to churn the abdominal muscles.
- Keep the cloth inside from few minutes to for maximum of 20 minutes. If you keep it longer, the cloth may end up in the small intestine by the regular movements in the stomach.
- Now pull the cloth out of the mouth very slowly. The cloth will be wet with lot of mucus and other sticky substance from the inner lining of the intestinal tract.
- Wash and sterilize the cloth to reuse it next time.
If you do not have buy it online from our store.
Dhauti Cloth for Practice
Swallowing a cloth carefully into the stomach could be quite difficult for seeker if some defects are there in cloth. Therefore following parameters should be kept in mind while performing this cleansing technique.
- The dimension of Cloth and
- Length – 20 to 25 feet, Width – 2 to 3 inches (Less than the width of the tongue)
- The cloth used in this practice should be made up of finely woven cotton, not a synthetic material and fine quality cloth carefully stitched
- All the corners of the cloth should be neatly trimmed so that no fraying takes place.
Type of Dhauti
According to the 18th century Gheranda Samhita, it is divided into four parts:
- Antara (internal) Dhauti
- Danta (teeth) Dhauti
- Hrida (cardiac or chest region) Dhauti
- Mula Shodhana (rectal cleansing)
Which disease is overcome by Dhuti Kriya?
Kriya helps to reduce excess phlegm, bile and gastric juices. Vaman Dhauti offers relief in case of obesity, diabetes,digestive tract, gas and flatulence and constipation. A useful kriya which detoxifies the digestive system.
- Additional Information
Weight 1.0000 Country of Manufacture India Manufacturer No
Customer Reviews 1 item(s)
- Fine stitching
Good quality cloth. It has perfect length and width.
Packaging Product Quality Shipping
Write Your Own Review